1. HAMILTON TIGERS
The name of Hamilton’s original NHL franchise in the 1920s.
- Mark Robinson
2. Hamilton Tigers
Hamilton Wild Cats
Hamilton Wild Tigers
I like the thought of bringing back The Hamilton Tigers--something our city lost many years ago.
- Bill Pauhl
3. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I lived in hamilton for 5 years and love the city!
I'd like nothing more than Hamilton to have an NHL team there. (I live in Missisauga and would adopt Hamilton as my new team instantaniously!!)
- Steve Vecchiola
4. I believe the Spec already ran a naming contest for a potential NHL franchise. Anyway, I'm going to stick with the same suggestion I made then:
The Hamilton Scarpfaces
- Ian Ward
5. I think the Hamilton Jets would be a great name. Winnipeg might not get the Jets back, but Canada can.
- Abdul-Haseeb Ahmad
6. I have always liked the idea of incorporating Burlington and Hamilon so my team name
would be the "Bay Area Bandits". Their uniforms would by black and white striped like the
Ottawa 67's. Many good slogans to go along with this team name like "steal 2 points" "got
mugged in the steal city"
- Mike Schutte
7. I think the new NHL team should be called The Hamilton Tigers.
- James F. Stewart
8. Hamilton Bettman’s
9. Hamilton Hammers
- Steve Burtch
10. Maybe we can fool the little hitler into thinking Hamilton is not the Coyote's new home.
Call the team The Northern Thunder (or TNT). Bettman will never suspect ....
- Rob Muir
11. The HAMILTON STEELHAWKS
That is the name Ilike.
- Pasquale Ciarmoli
12. I think it's pretty obvious that an NHL team in Hamilton should be called the "Hamilton
Hammers." For two reasons: Hamilton is affectionately called the Hammer by many people
including prospective owner Jim Balsillie and if we get the team it will prove to all that
Hamilton is actually a place that one such as Gary Bettman shouldn't underestimate! The
logo could possibly be a hockey stick (or two crossed on over the other) formed to look
somewhat like a hammer.
- Brian Dunlop
13. As a big Hockey fan in Hamilton, the only chance of us getting a Team here is if we name the team:
With Gary running the show hockey will not come here ( hope I'm wrong though ) by having his face on the jerseys it might be our best chance.This may also be a good option cause all the other teams we play will want to aim the puck at his forhead giving a less likely chance at scoring LOL will send us to the cup the first year.
- Mike Augello
14. The name has to be "The Hammer", with the piture of a forceful sledgehammer coming down hard. The coulors should be silver and burgundy.
- John Mattinson
15. I like the Hamilton Wolverines. I thought this logo is kinda cool.
- Kerri Ambridge
16. The perfect name would be the Hamilton Hammers! Hamilton's often referred to as "The Hammer" and it sounds tough too. Plus Hamilton has a heavy industrial/manual labour economy which would suite The Hamilton Hammers.As for logo I was thinking a hammerhead shark but we've already got the San Jose Sharks so pass on that. The mascot would be awesome: a hammer, kids would love it.
Hope The Hammer gets this team!! So tired of being a Leaf fan.
- Chad Taylor
17.I was always a big fan of the Hamilton Steelhawks.
Not just the team with the likes of Shayne Corson and Keith Primeau, but the name, the logo, the uniforms, the colours. Everything. So, if a team comes here, I would love for them to be modelled after the Steelhawks. Just my 2 cents.
- James McKinlay
18. Ummm…are you kidding me? Hamilton has one of the most intriguing unfinished stories in the history of the NHL with the Hamilton Tigers team from the 1920’s and you would lead this “story” with the idea of a Hamilton Coyotes team name? The Hamilton Tigers were on the verge of a Stanley Cup in 1925 before going on strike and being sold through mob connections to become the New York Americans. You couldn’t ask for a more “Hamilton” story. Black and Gold. Tigers eat ‘em raw. All the sports traditions that this city holds dear are not from the TiCats, but the Hamilton Tigers. This is not even a question but rather a question of which of the three original sweater designs the new ones will be based on.
- Derek Weidl
19. Although I’m in Ottawa, I am hoping that the Coyotes move to Hamilton. It’s long overdue for Hamilton and Canada to get another team. The Hamilton team name should be The Steelhawks. The name and logo from the OHL team in the 80’s was the best.
- Michael Frenken
20. You gotta first think Tigers or Steelhawks to pay respect to hockey tradition in this town. The problems are Steelhawks would be called "Hawks" for short, then when you play Chicago you have the Hawks against the Hawks, and with the Tigers you are awfully close to the Ti-Cats. So maybe something new would be good, "Steelheads" like that CTV show from the 90's??? But then you you have the short name of Heads, and that is terrible!?!?!Ah screw it, I vote Tigers!!!!! That is a great name that has a classic feel to it, its a no miss round these parts too!!Oskee-wee-wee chants could be used as well with no alterations.
- Matt Belanger
21.I know this sounds a bit crazy, but I would love the name of the NHL Team in Hamilton to be the Bulldogs. I know that name is owned by someone else in another league, but the Bulldogs have been a part of Hamilton's Culture for over 10 years.I've always said that Hamilton has a better shot at getting an NHL team, and winning the Stanley Cup even before the Toronto Maple Leafs come close to it.
Hamilton Bulldogs AHL graduates to Hamilton Bulldogs NHL! What a concept! I'm sure Michael Andular would be willing to sell the name to Jim for this!
- R.C. Tyler Shepherd
22. I've always loved the name 'Hamilton Steelhawks'.It has mention of our famous steel industry, and a logo could be a really steely looking hawk wing similar to the old logo when we had the minor league Steelhawks.
- Jason Leach
23. When the Phoenix Coyotes NHL hockey team is moved to Hamilton, the team should have a new name to reflect Hamilton.I believe that the name should reflect the new Hamilton and not the old Hamilton, thus names such as Hammer, Steeltown, Steelers, etc. should not be used. Manufacturing and the steel industry is on a decline in Hamilton and reflects the old city.The new city is becoming associated with the fantastic educational centres here, the medical complexes, the waterfront, the Niagara Escarpment, the hiking trails and most recently its waterfalls.
In fact Hamilton with its 125 waterfalls and cascades (at last count) is now called "The City of Waterfalls" and "The Waterfall Capital of the World" Thus the new name of the team could be the "Hamilton Waterfalls" or the "Hamilton Waterfallers".
For those who think the name is corny, how did we get names like the "Toronto Maple Leafs" or "New Jersey Devils"or the "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" (maybe we could call it "Hamilton Mighty Waterfalls").
"Hamilton Waterfalls" would make a statement that Hamilton is both "The City of Waterfalls" and "The Waterfall Capital of the World" and would reflect the new Hamilton, a green, environmentally sensitive and an outdoors type of a city.It makes sense to me.
- Joe Hollick
24. In response to your question about naming a possible Hamilton team, I say stick to tradition and call them the Hamilton Tigers. Use the original "H" logo.
- Joe Camilleri
25. Hamilton Falcones
- Rob Reed
26. Hamilton Thunder
- Darryl Holditch
27 I have always loved the name "Hamilton Steelhawks"
- Chris Fleming
28. Leave the name and logo the same!
- Rod Reichheld
29. I think the team should be called the "Rodney Motts." A little unwieldy, perhaps, but at least no one will be surprised when the team: (1) repeatedly promises to win but fails to deliver and (2) is sold and shut down after only two years.
- David Pedler
(Hamilton native now living in Erie, PA, USA)
30. Just as the Ottawa Senators revived their former NHL team name, I think Hamilton should do the same and go with "Hamilton Tigers." Good luck, Hamilton!! Hope the NHL finally comes to your worthy city. P.S. Beat the Leafs!
- Len Stewart
31. The Hamilton Never-Gonna-Happens.
- Kathy Chamoun
32. I have two ideas for team names.
I have an idea for a possible logo for the Heroes, it could be a Shield with two hockey sticks crossed in front of it ( like swords ). If it were the Heroes, they could wear Yellow or Gold, or Silver, and if there were some Yellow/Gold or Black it would fit the motif of a Hero, and would be fitting for our city's tradition of making steel.
- Matt C.
33. How about the "Hamilton Waterfalls"; the "Hamilton Chutes" or the "Hamilton Cascades" - something that pays homage to the fact that we have the most waterfalls of any urbanized area in the world. What I don't want to see is the "Hamilton Steelers" - this town has GOT to shed its industrial image if its ever going to thrive again. Thanks for all the hockey coverage - it's great!
- Hamish Campbell
34. Since coyotes have become a significant part of the local landscape (I loved the picture on the Spec's website earlier this week of the one sipping water from a placid Lake Ontario!), and since Gary Bettman is fanantical in his zeal about keeping "Hamilton" out of the NHL, and since Jim Balisillie is fast becoming a local hero and deserving of acclaim - and perhaps some extra promotion of his little side businesses, may I submit the following as team name:The Balsillie Blackberry Coyotes....of Southern Ontario
- Rich Gelder
35. HAMILTON BLACKBERRIES
- John Turner